Home Gastrointestinal Vet warns about danger of pets eating discarded PPE

Vet warns about danger of pets eating discarded PPE

38
0

The pandemic has been especially rough for one dog.“Gibbs actually ate a mask, a disposable mask,” said Dr. Danielle Youngman, of the Animal Rescue League Of Boston. The 3-year-old miniature schnauzer had to have emergency surgery after the mask became lodged in his stomach. “Fortunately for him, it was able to be removed and he is fully recovered now, which is great,” Youngman said. Youngman said dogs and other animals could snack on a mask or other personal protective equipment because it smells like food from being on a person’s face. “And then, sometimes, dogs are just being dogs, and they want to pick up stuff that they find on the street,” she said. That carelessly discarded personal protective equipment poses a real risk.“A lot of our masks have a little wire in the bridge that can puncture the gastrointestinal tract and lead to really serious sepsis,” Youngman said. That can cause dogs, such as Gibbs, a whole lot of trouble and lead to costly treatment. “Usually, emergency surgeries like this can be in the thousands of dollars,” Youngman said. “It’s really important in these times to be throwing out things like masks and gloves in covered wastebaskets.” Gibbs had surgery last week. The ARL hopes he gains a little bit of weight and then he will be up for adoption.

The pandemic has been especially rough for one dog.

“Gibbs actually ate a mask, a disposable mask,” said Dr. Danielle Youngman, of the Animal Rescue League Of Boston.

The 3-year-old miniature schnauzer had to have emergency surgery after the mask became lodged in his stomach.

“Fortunately for him, it was able to be removed and he is fully recovered now, which is great,” Youngman said.

Youngman said dogs and other animals could snack on a mask or other personal protective equipment because it smells like food from being on a person’s face.

“And then, sometimes, dogs are just being dogs, and they want to pick up stuff that they find on the street,” she said.

That carelessly discarded personal protective equipment poses a real risk.

“A lot of our masks have a little wire in the bridge that can puncture the gastrointestinal tract and lead to really serious sepsis,” Youngman said.

That can cause dogs, such as Gibbs, a whole lot of trouble and lead to costly treatment.

“Usually, emergency surgeries like this can be in the thousands of dollars,” Youngman said. “It’s really important in these times to be throwing out things like masks and gloves in covered wastebaskets.”

Gibbs had surgery last week. The ARL hopes he gains a little bit of weight and then he will be up for adoption.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/vet-warns-about-danger-of-pets-eating-discarded-ppe-masks-gloves/33522983

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.